In 1926 the then Committee of the Lewis Pipe band purchased a corrugated-iron building on Bells Road, Stornoway, for £150 from the Lewis Ex-Sevicemens Club, which was in liquidation. From that year, the building, which became the Pipe Band Hall, was used by the Band Members as a meeting place for practices and as a starting point for the Summer Parades through the Town.

It was a popular venue for a number of organizations, including the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides and was used by them for their Annual Socials. It also hosted Ceilidhs, Concerts, Weddings and Dances and was probally the best, if not the only, Hall in Town.

During the years of the Second World War, when most of the Band would have been in one or other of the Services, the Hall was requisitioned by the Armed Forces who failed to keep the building in a reasonable condition. Even the Hall piano was so badly damaged that it had to be humanely put down. The result of this neglect led to a claim for compensation by the Band but the small amount received hardly covered the cost of bringing the Hall fabric up to a reasonable and acceptable standard. The Hall slowly deteriorated until, in the 1960's, it was dismantled, leaving the site on Bells Road to become overgrown with weeds.

In 1993 the Band Committee were approached by the Lewis Citizens' Advice Bureau and asked to consider the possibility of the CAB leasing the site to enable them to install a large Portacabin which they had acquired. The Committee agreed to this request and the CAB Offices operated from Bells Road until 2002 when they moved to Westview Terrace. The annual rental, which was never raised during those nine years, was lodged in a special Hall Account set up by the Band Committee.

When the Lewis CAB moved into their new premises, their former Portacabin was offered free gratis, complete with furnishings, to the Band and this was accepted with the Committee agreeing to make a donation of £500 to the CAB for their generosity.

A new Band Hall project was started in 2012 due to the fact that the portacabin was now nearing the end of its useful life.

After discussions with Macleod & Buchanan, who were currently leasing a part of the site from the Band, an agreement was reached whereby a new hall would be built, funded by the exchange of the leased land, a grant from Comairle nan Eilean Siar, and the Band’s own funds and resources. This agreement would see the Lewis Pipe Band remain on the site first occupied by the Band in 1926.

The Band moved out of the portacabin at the end of 2014 and into temporary accommodation whilst the site was cleared. Construction of the new building began the following April with completion in December 2015. Half of the new hall comprises of one large room to accommodate full band practices, which will be particularly useful during the cold dark winter months, where indoor practices are more frequent.

As well as being a modern, efficient building for the Band, there is also hope to attract other groups with a need for a town centre space, in particular, groups of cultural similarities to the Band. It’s hoped that musicians, dancers and any other groups can use the new Band Hall to it’s full purpose, and provide a much needed additional facility in the town centre.

The Hall is also available to let for anyone looking for a useful space for meeting s or classes. If you are interested in letting the Hall, please contact us through the Contacts page, or via Facebook.

Sponsors

Lewis Pipe Band has also been proudly supported by the companies below.

SWF logo                     Omac-Construction-Ltd
Website sponsored by She Online

Latest News - Splash

Lewis Pipe Band's winning performance in grade 4A at the Cowal Championships 2013.
Competing in the Cowal Championship is the highlight of the piping season for many pipers and drummers, the was first held in 1906 and attracts bands from all over the world.

Follow Us on Facebook